Sunday, May 8, 2011

Lost & Found

Yesterday I had a signal 70. This is a radio code for a lost child. Let me share what happened.

Just after lunch, as I was heading toward my afternoon position at the crocodile in Dinoland, a woman put her hand on my shoulder to catch my attention. With a terrified-yet-trying-to-stay-calm expression, she said, "I can't find my grandson." Her panic was my catalyst to becoming a hero, and I was actually excited for this chance to prove myself as a trustworthy, magic making Disney employee. Calmly, I gathered information: where did you last see him? how old is he? what is he wearing? what is his name? Most situations, I am told, resolve themselves in 10 minutes. If the child has not been reunited with his or her parents after 10 minutes, security is then contacted.

After searching our corner of Dinoland, and after the 10 minute rule, I called security. This seemed to reassure grandma. It turned out that a custodian had brought the missing boy to one of my fellow co-workers, and that the two were waiting for his family by Triceratops Spin. By this time, the parents had appeared and before hysteria had completely taken the family, I invited them to all walk with me around the corner, where their missing family member was getting to know my friend Dan.

The reunion was dramatic. Little boy is trying to listen to cast member, little boy is obviously scared, parents see their little boy, and after getting a scolding from mom, dad, and grandma, gets hugs from all of the above.

It feels good to help out. So good, in fact, that I looked for more lost children throughout the remainder of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment