Thursday, April 21, 2011

A reflexion on identity

This morning at the Animal Kingdom a little girl looked up at me and asked, "Are you a scientist?" I told her that I was, but her question made me think. How am I seen by guests? I wear a Safari uniform, which is more like a costume, and although I take myself pretty seriously, I'm sure I look ridiculous to others.

This is how I see myself:


This is how others probably perceive me:


This is how the little girl saw me:

For all my life I have aspired to be a reputable scientist. That little girl paid me a serious compliment this morning by assuming that I was a real scientist. I wonder: when does a biology student become a biologist? At what point do I consider myself a proficient in my field? Will I ever reach a point where I'm no longer a student? Do I just have to know more than the person next to me? In the mean time, I hope to contribute to happiness and learning in my current role as a "Conservation Education Presenter."

2 comments:

  1. I think we need pictures of you in your uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chalk me up in the "perceive you as a professional" column!

    ReplyDelete