Friday, May 13, 2011

Creepy Things

I have never been into bugs. Personally, I avoid things that creep. Part of my job, however, is to teach families about the important roles invertebrates play in nature, and to promote the existence (against my better judgment) of spiders, tarantulas, cockroaches, millipedes, grasshoppers, and scorpions.

For five months I have been feigning enthusiasm for these animals. "Hey kids, come take a look at my fuzzy friend! Do you know why tarantulas have all that hair on them? They use it feel around for food. What do you think they like to eat? Bugs!! They have just enough venom to turn flies and mosquitos into bug milkshakes! But don't worry, their bite is no worse than a bee sting!"

-or-

"Take a look at these cool bugs! Have you ever seen grasshoppers this big? These are called lubbers, and they live right here in Florida. What kind of colors do you see? Yellow and red are warning colors in nature. They tell other animals, 'hey, I'm poisonous!' If a bird eats a lubber, he's going to get really sick. Can you think of other animals that use color as a warning?"

Are you all convinced yet? I have had hundreds of kids promise me that they will not squish bugs anymore, but it wasn't until Thursday of this week that I too became a believer in the 'coolness' of spiders and insects.

What made Thursday special? I had a backstage tour in the invertebrate holding area. Instead of looking at these animals through a glass box (with a lock) I held them in the palm of my hand. There is something very powerful about touch, and it wasn't until I cradled a very fragile grasshopper that I appreciated how hard life is for an insect.

Just like the kids, I also promise to be considerate of the creepy critters. They really are cool!

3 comments:

  1. Guess what - if you come visit me in El Paso you can have a hands-on experience with scorpions! I actually don't look for opportunities to hold them, but they don't scare me anymore. Their sting really isn't any worse than a bee sting, and they only sting in self-defense. They also keep the cockroach population down, a major plus in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Laurie, you could be a presenter at the Animal Kingdom! Any interest in switching places for a day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love the cuddly feel of a fuzzy tarantula nuzzled against their vulnerable neck veins?! Thank you, Angela, for reminding us that these creepy crawly, mercilessly efficient stalkers of the night are to be loved, not feared...

    ReplyDelete